Into the garden, quick, quick

90% of the remaining seedlings I started, then moved to the greenhouse are screaming Get me out of here! I want to grow now, now, now. We had finished planting the hardy crops before. This week, we’ve started on the tender crops. We have put out the yellow squash and pattypans, all the cucumbers, the zucchini, the paste tomatoes and half the maincrop tomatoes. I also planted three kinds of butternut squash and six other kinds of winter squash from seed. I am hoping we can get the rest of the maincrop tomatoes out on Sunday. Today I need to feed them and move stuff around in the greenhouse to thin more and decide what’s the order of necessity in moving them out.

I had started one sixpack too many of cucumbers because one of the sixpacks didn’t germinate. Then once I started the 5th sixpack, the inert one sprang to life. We don’t need that many cucumbers, so I gave Dale the 5th bunch.

The pink dogwood that survived being broken by a roofer dropping shingles on it many years ago has thrived since and this year it gave birth to a healthy white dogwood. Many events are mysterious to me. For instance, I planted one lavender rose of Sharon many years ago. It has since produced pink babies, white babies all over our land. It’s making a hedge in one place. Plus we have a schizophrenic quince bush that has half vermillion flowers and half peachy pink flowers. I bought three dwarf conifers in 1972. One of them, a weeping hemlock, has barely grown three inches. The birdsnest spruce is bushy but no taller. But the chaemecyparis is now taller than the house and still growing.

I have read, reread and annotated three more manuscripts for my June workshop. The Derby Party last Saturday was great fun. We had 22 people, but two had to leave early, so there were just the right number of horses for people to draw from a hat. The horse I preferred came in last. It was exciting as always. More food than another 20 people could eat.

They finished work on the Sagamore bridge that connects us to the mainland so we are no longer prisoners of Cape Cod. We were able to go into Boston –actually Cambridge and Brookline – to get stuff we couldn’t find here and to go to the medical marijuana dispensary and get my summer’s stash for my glaucoma and to help me sleep. This is the prettiest time of year in the Boston area, with trees in bloom wherever you look and the leaves all new and shiny and edible looking. Magnolias, ornamental pears, cherries, crab apples, etc. all out.

Tonight we go to Lois and Ramon’s for poker and snacks. Ramon had a serious eye operation last Friday and had to stay on his back for three days. He is bored, being denied most of the activities and chores he is accustomed to doing. I remember the pain and the boredom of the summer I had two major eye operations and 16 what they call ‘procedures,’ always very painful with all the prohibitions – don’t reach up, don’t reach down, don’t lift anything, don’t bend over, walk slowly, don’t touch your eye, don’t do fucking anything at all but lie there trying to read or watch TV with one eye, feeling sorry for myself.

Today it’s supposed to rain, and I really hope it does. We’ve been quite dry and all the seedlings in all three of the veggie gardens need lots of water until they develop more mature root systems. I knocked myself out yesterday in the garden. I’m sore today so don’t plan to plant, just thin and reorganize in the greenhouse. Things are rather a mess right now inside, as all our efforts are going into the garden and also for me, into my workshop prep,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply